Saturday, October 31, 2015

10/6 Eggs, 1,000 ways


Had you asked me what day I was most excited about at the start of this adventure, I would have told you Breakfast day. It was a month in the making but it was GLORIOUS.

      As any good breakfast day should it started with eggs. Lots and lots and lots of eggs. I made everything but scrambled eggs, really. Sunny side up, over easy, two kinds of omelets (French and American), a baked egg and eggs benedict were all on the table. I’m pretty proud of what I was able to get done and how they turned out. Then the second half of class was the real show. As a new pancake covert I was OVERJOYED to make some pancakes and potatoes. The potatoes were blanched, and fried to golden perfection, the pancakes puffed beautifully and then there was the German Apple Pancake. This wonder is super easy to make and creates a coliseum in the pan. The domed crust comes up and over to create the perfect pouch for a filling; like apples. Before you inhale the entire thing.


I am proud of the marvelous poof that I got on the Dutch apple baby.

I need to work on hollandaise. Womp, womp. I had to make it 5 times today and only just got it when chef walked me though it. The fourth time (when I just gave up and went to get him) I had an enormous thick glob of yellow custard stuck to the end of my whisk. Not my finest hour. 


Take aways

·      Did you know the flutes in a chef hat have a meaning? Each flue represents the number of ways that chef knows how to cook an egg! How cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment