Friday, October 30, 2015

9/30 Meet the Meat and Veg Day 2


            The morning started out a little earlier than most with a long drive out to Kinnaeley’s Meat. The literally freezing tour was a great experience and window into how meat can be done well, packaged safely and sent to hopefully cooks and chefs all across New England. We learned and saw the differences in Select, Choice and Prime cuts of meat, witnessed a dry aging process and saw some of the most efficient butchers ill probably ever see. One man totally deboned a turkey in less than a minute.



After a lengthy drive back to school and a scramble to get everything together we started on veg day two. This included a eggplant chicheron, green beans in a butter emulsion, a celery root soup, a artichoke soup and a few other small dishes like candied carrots. Overall I felt like I was just prepping for chef who would do something. It was not really hands on and the most fun was really eating everything rather than doing it myself.
I am proud of…. Prepping faster?
I need to work on jumping in with suggestions and making a dish when I have the opportunity.
Take aways
·      The butter emulsion was amazing and I really must practice that. It evenly coated the green beams with butter and made a sauce for them.

·      Also I must work on my blanching so the veg are crisp and ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment