Monday, October 26, 2015

9/16 Meet the Meat

           Today was round 1 of a two-day meat extravaganza. We learned how to take some of the meat that we butchered and quick cook in mostly by the pan fry method. Along with the lamb we also conquered a good amount of steaks and pork chops. The important take away for the day for me today was how to pan fry and sear off meat before basting it, letting it rest or finishing in the oven. Though Chef Barry was excellent at instructing us, I talked to Claudia about how Chef Michael taught her class and I think I will use that method going forward. It seems that you will get a more consistent product every time. Sear the meat on all sides in plenty of oil until steaks are rare. Let rest until the internal temperature matches the external temp then heat in the oven until you get the internal temperature that you want. I could still use some clarification on the matter but it seems like a more stable plan than basting until you think things are going.

I am proud of edible food. This class was one that I was dreading. The line for perfectly cooked meat is so small that I was sure I was going to bomb. With much help and guidance, I am proud to say that I feel much, much better.

I should work on pepper. It is so much fun to see the salt and pepper raining down on the meat… I just need to be careful to make sure that I don’t have too much.

Take a ways
·      Snitzel is easy and delicious. Pound out a boneless pork chop, dredge in flour, egg wash, then breadcrumbs. Pan fry with some lemon juice.

·      Make a steak salt and pepper mix like Chef Michael said- 3 salt: 1 pepper




No comments:

Post a Comment