Saturday, October 24, 2015

Sheeps! Round 2


When I moved to Boston I knew that I would be exposed to many wonderful things. New Englanders love a festival. They have a festival for just about everything, fluff, glass pumpkins, and my personal favorite the Rhinebeck Sheep and Wool Festival.

This is a magical place in a magical time of year. The weekend long festival is hosted by the tiny city of Rhienbeck, NY which is about 30 minutes north of Poughkeepsie, NY. It is the Mecca for yarn lovers everywhere. Rows and rows of barns bursting to the seams with roving, yarn and fiber tools can be overwhelming but we were up for the task.

This was our second year of going to the festival and we felt like pro's. We had lunch mapped out, we had our favorite booths tracked and plotted and we made sure we had comfortable shoes on. Last year we ended up all wearing an amazing sweater that was both easy to spot in a crowd and fabulous.
Photo by Abby Goodman 
This year I had a booger of a time trying to find a sweater that could even hold a candle to the striped beauty of 2014. To this end I literally chased down a poor lady who was getting off the T near my apartment. Not only did I find out where she got her fabulous alpaca shirt, I shamelessly asked to take a picture of her chest so I could find it later. All in the name of yarn. 

Unlike last year, I went into the festival without a list. To put it mildly by cupboards runnith  over with yarn so I was determined to just get yarn that I would use soon and that I loved. That was a bit of a stupid plan. I didn't come back with a mountain, exactly, but it is rather close. 


I've newly become addicted to making socks so many of these skeins are earmarked for that but I didn't do quite so well on restraint myself as I should have. 

Despite the cold (it literally SNOWED on the drive home in October) and the long day we had an amazing time as well. I love having my friends and family surround me in a place full of yarn. Honestly, what could be better? 

No comments:

Post a Comment