Monday, October 26, 2015

9/17 Oh please, no more meat


            Day three and I feel like I’ve been through a Thanksgiving dinner that has lasted 72 hours. We are past the meat sweats and into protein coma, distended belly and all. Today was the low and slow braise and roast day. In attempts to finish up all the meat that we had we took the thicker, more muscly parts and cooked then in such a way to make them easier to eat with more flavor possibilities.
            My favorite meat that we prepared for the day was the bone in pork chops. The meat had a good thick fat lining on the backside so I seared it off to golden brown and then glazed it before it heated up in the oven. The glaze was made with stone ground mustard, honey and a few fresh thyme sprigs. It cut beautifully, served well and was delicious.


            I loved the idea of braising in new liquids. I always just thought of water or maybe stock if I was feeling fancy but little did I know the favor pallets that are available if you only use something with more flavors like wine, citrus juice or bourbon.


I am proud of experimenting with new flavors and combinations with Louise. She is so willing to try new things and put together flavor combinations I would have never thought of. It is refreshing and scary all at the same time.

I should work on figuring out the best ways to cook the cuts I will be in contact with the most. It is one thing to be handed a cut, and told what to do with it. It is quite another to have to pick out the cut of meat and know before hand what would be the best way to get what you want out of the meat.

Take a ways

·      Before this experience I was kind of turned off by lamb. I thought it was gamey and kind of gross. I was wrong, so very wrong. There is such a huge difference when you are able to butcher the whole animal. The freshness brings new flavors to the meat and makes the quality much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment