Friday, October 23, 2015

The Start of Something New


In my senior year of college I started to panic. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and I was a mess. I flew home to recoup with my family and at breakfast my father asked me what I loved to do. I told him, I love to cook, I love to quilt, and I love to knit. From there the idea of Home Economics was born. It was to be my baby but with a vast amount of help from everyone I love. I wanted a space to show off the amazing talents of the people in my life. I wanted to provide a space for learning, for loving and a home outside of the home. On the flight home from that trip I fell asleep on the plane and had a vivid dream where I saw myself in a kitchen in chef whites. I knew I needed to go to culinary school to give me some credentials for this endeavor. 

There are so many paths to culinary school and so many schools to choose from. I called around and got accepted to some of the best programs in the country. I was so excited but something just wasn't right until I found the Masters of Liberal Arts with a concentration in Gastronomy from Boston University. It was perfect for me. I felt like I could carry on my academic (aka super nerdy) study from Vanderbilt and would also be able to have a short culinary school experience in addition to regular school work. 

I have made it through one whole year of my masters program so far. Time has flown and my lack of writing is mainly due to the copious amount of papers I have to write for my various classes. This semester I took the plunge and with 10 other wonderful students, I started the Culinary Lab. As part of the program I was asked to journal my experience which I will share here. Some of it sadly won't make sense to those not in the program but it is a nice way for me to chronicle, remember and share on my terms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment