Saturday, October 31, 2015

10/1 Salads and Vinaigrettes


            True to form Chef Jeff did not let up on the flavor or canola oil for his last day on vegetables. In general I felt like I could use many of the principals that he taught us but tweak them to more suit my palate.  I think I was most interested in the ceaser dressing which I felt came out a little more spicy than I would have liked but I loved its potency.
"Light" salad with bacon lardons, bread, poached eggs, vinaigrette and oh, yeah, a little green stuff 

Mirin roasted rutabaga, grapefruit, radish, thai basil and olive oil  

I am proud of
·      We were on point today with getting things done and cleaning up.
·      Tasting things and knowing what I would change. For instance, chef made a salad dressing with a lot of canola oil, I feel like olive oil would have given the dressing a better foundation.

I need to work on flavor balance and stepping up with my own ideas.

Take always
·      I really must do more with rutabagas. Such a cool vegetable that is quite versatile.
·      There is a difference between white and brown anchovy’s- one is saltier than the other.

·      Consider the shape of lettuce when making a salad- sometimes just the inside ribs are fine

No comments:

Post a Comment