Tuesday, October 27, 2015

9/22 Not our finest hour

           Today could have gone so many different ways. Sadly it ended with a lengthy lecture about listening and time management, one recipe short and a clean up that ended at 6:45.
            Meat…. I think I would very much like to meet a vegetable in the up coming weeks and would prefer to leave protein alone for a little while. We cooked our poultry today and it was a marathon event. We started with 6 recipes and ended with 5, which is still nothing to scoff at. While the recipes were all tasty honestly everything I did was such a blur. I didn’t feel like I was getting any technique down but rather just trying to not kill anyone with undercooked poultry on a plate. There was no finesse; there was no considering my options. I just threw things around and hoped it turned out good enough… which is not what you want going into the day.
This is an enormous vat of chicken stock. A great way to cool down this 5 gallon bucket is to sit it in ice water and stick two metal spoons in it to disperse the heat. 

What remained of the chicken stock 

An amazing roasted chicken 

            The biggest problem was time management. We had a lot to do. We all knew we had a lot to do and somehow we just didn’t change our practices to accommodate. We should have known the recipes better. We should have visualized what we needed to do and we should have had everything prepped better and ready to go. Lesson learned.
Pan chicken thighs 

The roasted bird 

Duck breast with a bourbon apple sauce 




The first part of the class was an introduction to pastry, which was fascinating. I am so excited to get my hands in some of the dough. We learned about the anatomy of wheat, the particulars of the ingredients we will use and some of the differences between sweet and savory cooking.

I am proud of living through meat to tell the tale.

I should work on time management.

Take a ways
·      I had no idea that sugar is not always vegan or vegetarian! Apparently they purify the sugar through charred bones.

·      The extremities of animals should be cooked longer and lower because they move the most and are tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment