Sunday, November 1, 2015

10/7 Plucking my eyebrows finally pays off


            The morning was spent learning more about pastry and the art of scaling a recipe. I had no idea but it is not a good idea to multiply a recipe more than 3 times or the leavening wont work out how you want it. You also have to mostly taste test to make sure that the spices are ok; you can’t just multiply them. We also learned about gelatin and how superior gelatin strips are over the powder. I had no idea how much the powder just smells like pork product.

            In the afternoon we worked with Chef Fran Milano from Row 34 and Island Creek Oyster House to learn how to break down fish. My group, initially, got tasked with the rainbow trout. A wonderful fish that is small and flavorful but boy does it have a million pin bones. Ok, a million might be a stretch but there are enough that I feel justified in complaining. The majority of the day was spent breaking down the fish then we had a frantic shorter period where we tried to cook them.
         
   In general I liked the grilled whole fish the best for flavor then the muscles! He sweated off shallot and leeks then added generous amounts of butter and white wine. Amazing.

I am proud of touching the fish. It was touch and go for awhile but I did it!

I need to work on my knives. Who knew that fish scales were so hard! My poor knives were not up to snuff even though I sharpened them the night before. 

Take aways
Probably the most important take away was the way to recognize good fish

No comments:

Post a Comment