Saturday, November 7, 2015

10/29 Balanced Flavors and Technique Review





            Before today I could have told you exactly two things about Korean food; they have it and they seem to like BBQ. That is it. I am very proud to announce that I now love it and will promptly find my local Korean establishment and put it on the regular rotation list. Korean food is similar to Japanese food but on flavor steroids. There Japanese food looks for simple subtleties, Korean food goes for full power explosions in your mouth. Japanese food is to French food as Korean food is to Mexican food.
Scallion Pancake
Bibimbap 

            We had a wonderful instructor who let us get a hands on experience to the simple nature of Korean food while also getting all the flavors. We made the very typical bibimbop, which was incredible, a scallion pancake (!!!!!!!!!), a spinach and sesame dish, and crunchy cucumbers with a spicy dipping sauce. Everything blended so well together yet all the parts were distinct and flavorful.
My scallops with butternut squash pure 
Roasted cauliflower and fingerling potatoes with steak with an apple pan sauce 
            
The afternoon was about as far away from Korean food as possible. We had a technique review with Chef Michael Leviton where we tried to recreate a well-cooked steak, scallops, a butternut squash pure and roasting cauliflower. Overall not very eventful.
I am proud of learning about new cultures and new flavors. I really need to broaden my horizons and appreciate the amazing foods in the world
I need to work on perfecting my cooking and simplifying my plating.

Take aways: Chef Leviton made an excellent point in class while talking about perfecting our techniques. He said that we really need to work on nuanced flavors rather than relying on salt and acid to make our food taste good. He noted that it is nearly impossible to pair a good wine with some of these modern foods because they are too bold to go with anything besides a vinegary wine or beer. To keep wine pairing alive, we need to know how to cook to complement the whole meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment