Friday, November 6, 2015

10/28 To Mis A Mousse


            Pastry Day! Huzzah! Could this week get any better? Pasta then pastry? I submit that it cannot. The day before we were handed a tick stack of paper with all the recipes that we would be making, all of them were amazing. Because there were so many delectable dishes Ill just hit the highlights.
 
Sadly not a picture of the bread pudding but this was a lovely ricotta cake. 
Lets talk about the most amazing bread pudding I have ever had, shall we?  Our pastry Chef, Janine, got the recipe from David Lebovitz (who I happen to LOVE). First, you slice a loaf of challah bread thickly and spread it with an amazing almond paste mixture. Then you cover the bread in a dish with custard and let the bread absorb the amazing almond and orange flavors. Lastly, you bake it until it is crisp on top and amazingly custardy on the bottom. It was unbelievably tastly. Sadly we ate it too fast for pictures so you will just have to image its greatness.


Later in the afternoon we made a trio of mini custards and mousses that were both delicious and beautiful. We made a maple panna cotta, a divine chocolate mousse and mini cheesecakes with a lemon curd. All were divine for their own reasons but I particularly loved the cheesecakes because we used home made graham cracker crumbs left over from the dough we made during cookie day.

I am proud of the different recipes I learned while also learning the technique.

Take aways: I must remember that desert can be so so so much more than just a cake. I never think of making a custard or a mousse for a desert but I always love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment