Tuesday, November 3, 2015

10/15 Spanish Wonder

Oranges with onion and parsley 
            This was SUCH a needed respite from protein. Instead of learning a skill we dove mouth first into a cuisine. A whole cuisine. A fully formed palate that came from people in a place that was influenced by their history, economy, heritage and culture. This food had soul unlike the dozen fish recipes because we learned about the people who made the food and why. The why, I think, will be the important thing for me. I love learning about the story of these foods. I love knowing that paella came from poor people who were given rice as a portion of their payment for working in rice fields. They would get whatever protein they could find; snails, frogs, poultry or fish to create a simple quick dish that they could eat and use the rest of their break to relax for the remainder of their hard working day. That gave me a better foundation for making the dish than any demonstration ever could. Long gone were my ideas of rice stuffed with four types of meat and a handful of vegetables. Along these lines we learned a great deal about sherry. We learned the yeasty process of making the complex wine and so much more.


My favorite sherry out of our sherry tasting 

Orange scented olive oil cake 
            In the afternoon we made a series of dishes that culminated in the paella. We had roasted red pepper with olives, a potato and salt cod mixture that was spooned on bread and a salad with sliced oranges, onion and salt cod. The main event was the crusty, crunchy rice dish that we made with delicious rabbit. After that we enjoyed an orange scented olive oil cake.

I am proud of making a meal surrounding an idea, not just a list of ingredients

I need to work on the olive oil cake. It is delicious but I need to perfect the technique and the cooking time listed was wrong.

Take aways

·      Think of a dish in a context, not just a page

No comments:

Post a Comment