Friday, November 6, 2015

10/27 Pasta Perfect


            Our morning class was canceled so we jumped in, mouth first, into pasta day bright and early at 10:30. What could possibly be bad on a day when I get to work with dough and then eat pasta? Nothing, let me just tell you, nothing. Chef Dante de Magistris from Dante taught our class in a lax, lovely Italian way where few things could go wrong and you knew there would be a nice glass of Chianti waiting for you at the end of the day. 

We started by making our own pasta dough, which I loved. I love dough. Of any type, really. I love to feel the flour in my hands and feel it come together smoothly and roll it out in all its carby goodness. Pasta dough is no different. After the dough was made and chilled to set, we started on what he liked to call naked ravioli. They were essentially cheese and spinach meatless meatballs that were dipped in egg white and flour and then poached to create perfect little pillows. We made a tomato sauce, an amazing walnut cheese pasta sauce to go on top of our creations. Days later, I am still working on the amazing pasta goodness.

The beginnings of gnocchi 

My handmade pasta 

Chef's on the fly creation. Amazing gnocchi with butternut squash and sage. 

My pasta with the cheesy walnut sauce. 


The naked ravioli in our tomato sauce

I am proud of how well my pasta dough came together. All those years o trying to make good bread have come in handy.
I need to work on salting the water properly when cooking pasta.

Take aways: pasta is delicious but homemade pasta is easy and MORE delicious. Cleaning a pasta maker on the other hand, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment