Thursday, November 5, 2015

10/26 Price check on our skills




            The morning started with the first part of a talk about costing and how to properly run a restaurant. While this is important, I was more excited about learning what we were going to do with our big event next week. Next week Jacques Pepin is coming into town to teach us, celebrate his 80th birthday, be part of a gala and serve a dinner worth $1000 per seat. Did I mention I get to help him along the way on all of that? We are SO excited. Any way about it we were told how the planning went on for the gala and we got our first glimpse of what to expect for Monday, or Gala Day.
Statler chicken breast with a rosemary white wine sauce 

Chicken taco, clam chowder, eggs benedict 

            The afternoon was spent with Chef Chris Douglass for a technique review. Much to my delight I didn’t totally bomb at boning a chicken (thanks youtube)! We made a spicy taco dish, a pan seared chicken breast and a stock out of the bird. I also come to learn that I am miserable at making hollandaise. I would love to do it right but I am notorious for getting a huge blop of goo at the end of my sad whisk.
I am proud of boning my chicken pretty well!
I need to work on my hollandaise.

Take aways: Practice makes perfect. Keep on keeping on.

No comments:

Post a Comment