Thursday, November 5, 2015

10/21 Plating Oysters


            Before this experience if you had handed me a freshly opened oyster swimming in what I would assume to be suspect liquid, I would have politely made an excuse not to touch it. Not any more! We spent the morning at Island Creek Oyster. I feel like we have had such a detailed experience into this one organization this put the final piece into play. It seems only right that we should hop on the boat to take part in the harvesting since we have been taught by two of their chefs and have visited the restaurant. After a little drive we arrived in Duxbury Bay to the little oyster organization. We went into the hatching room and learned about how the “crop” spawns and reproduces guided by diligent hands and vats of home grown algae concoctions.  From there we jumped into little boats and floated out to a shack resting on the water where the oysters are harvested and organized. With fall leaves in the background and still, jade green waters below us we slurped some of the finest oysters I have ever tasted.










            The afternoon was spent trying to be artistic. Jeff Fornie was back and he attempted to teach us plating. We started by making a few things that we could assemble. Purees, sauces, chopped vegetables and a few proteins were our staples. I am still a bit fuzzy and freaked out by the whole idea but in general it was fun and I got to eat some amazing vegetable purees.





I am proud of finally making a dish that was pretty enough to comment on.

I need to work on plating. Seriously.

Take aways
·      Oysters are delicious.

·      Plating matters, it sells your food and will make or break a dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment