Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Skillet Kale and Egg

I have been trying to find a way to incorporate more kale into my life and I think I have found a most excellent and delicious way! I had seen several recipes doing something very similar but I decided to try my own spin on it.

Feeds: 1 but can easily be multiplied to feed more
Skill Level: Beginner

1/2 yellow onion
2 c chopped kale
2 eggs
1-2 tbs sour cream or creme fraiche
olive oil or butter
salt and pepper
slices of toast (optional but a really delicious contrast if schemered with sweet jelly next to the savory eggs)


1. Slice the onion however you like, a dice would work too if you wanted. Add onion and 1tbs butter or olive oil to a non stick pan on medium-low heat and let the onions caramelize which may take awhile.
2. While the onions cook, you can prep the kale by taking out the rib and chiffonading it (here is a helpful site for working with kale).
3. When the onions are golden brown or you get too hungry to let them cook any further, add the kale to the skillet with 2 tbs of water and another tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Let the kale and onions cook until the kale is bright green and softer, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Stir in your tablespoon or two of sour cream or creme fraiche and salt and pepper to taste and let the cream thicken around the kale.
5. Crack and egg or two in the center of the kale and let it cook for as long as you like. I prefer mine a little runny so it did not take me long but if you prefer a more firm egg feel free to stick the pan under the broiler to get a more even cook on top.
6. Serve with or without toast. 

I am still working on getting everything settled from getting back to Nashville so I spent a good part of today ironing fabric in preparation for the many quilting projects I have in mind. 
Right now, these are a few of my favorite things: 
1. My new Primrose Bakery cupcake book! Everything looks amazing in it and I am very excited to start baking. 
2. I have been converted by the french press. This little beauty will make the perfect single cup of strong coffee for me in the morning. 
3. My new ENORMOUS, wide ironing board. For the past four years while quilting at school I have been working on the mini ironing board that one gets for a cramped college dorm. I can't express to you how tedious it is ironing sometimes up to 10 yards of fabric on an ironing board with a surface area of about two feet. This new beauty is the perfect height for me and even has a place to put my hot iron and spray bottle. It is a quilting miracle! 
4. The stuffed banana is not really my favorite thing though I am benefiting from it greatly. More than any other food in the world, Evanelle LOVES bananas. She can sniff one from across the house and pulls her best begging tricks when one is open. Clearly when I saw this toy at the pet shop I HAD to bring it home as an early birthday present. She adores it so much that it has not even shredded yet and we played several rousing games of fetch today. 

Aside from said rousing games of fetch it has been a terribly cold day and Evanelle did little besides stay warm in her bed, yelling at me occasionally for not snuggling her. 

1 comment: