Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Citrus Salmon Salad

I saw this salad in Martha Stewart's magazine that came out this month and it looked so delicious I just had to try it.

Feeds: 1 but can easily be multiplied for more people
Skill level: Beginner
Adapted from Martha Stewart

4-6 oz fresh salmon
1 cup spinach, arugula or other dark, leafy green
1 red grapefruit
1/2 small avocado
olive oil
rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Place salmon in a glass casserole dish. Gently rub 1-2 tbs of olive oil into the fish and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper. When the oven is warm, bake for 10-12 minutes.
3. With a very sharp, small knife cut the rind off of the grapefruit. Start at the top and cut around to the bottom exposing the flesh. Cut off the rind completely so the meat is exposed.
 I recommend cutting the slices out over a bowl so you can collect the juice. Run your knife alongside both sides of the membrane to get the slices out. Collect the juice and the slices in a bowl. 
I took what remained of the grapefruit- i.e. the skin and the center- and put it in a large pitcher and covered it with water overnight. You will have delicious flavored water in the morning. 
4. Slice half an avocado. 
5. Arrange the greens, avocado, and grapefruit on a large plate. 
6. Make salad dressing by pouring all ingredients into a jar or air tight container and shaking. Add what is left of the grapefruit juice, the same amount of olive oil as grapefruit juice, 1 tbs rice wine vinegar (or more to taste), salt and pepper and shake vigorously. You will have a good deal of dressing left over for salads in the future! 
7. Cut the cooked salmon into smaller pieces, spoon dressing over salad and enjoy! 

I am sorry I haven't made post in awhile! A combination of getting very sick, holiday adventures and moving my little sister to Chicago in January has kept me on my toes. I am happy to be back in Nashville and plan on doing quite of bit of cooking and quilting so stay tuned! 

Evanelle is doing exceptionally well and will be taking the next few weeks to work off some of the treats that her Grandest gave her while on vacation. This morning we tried going to the park to romp around but she was having none of the 27 degree weather and the snow and demanded to get back into the warm car for a snuggle. For now she is spooning me, snoring loudly and occasionally tooting to keep my company. 
I am sorry the pictures are so crummy this post. I was too hungry to charge the good camera so my phone had to suffice. Keep a look out for tonight's skillet kale and fried egg!


No comments:

Post a Comment