Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Divine Leek and Potato Soup and a New Cousin

I LOVE books. I inhale them. I love the stories and the new ideas that come out of each and every one. Also, I am a rather fidgety person that can't sit still so, I ravenously consume my literature via audiobook. I chose Audible to enable my addiction because I can get a subscription with two books a month for the cost of buying less than one audiobook. Recently, I purchased the 'Dirty Life' by Kristin Kimball that tells the charming tale of how she and her husband started an organic farm in northern New York. I highly recommend it if you like food, animals, funny anecdotes about castrating a bull or simply lovely writing. At the end of her book she gives just a few of her favorite recipes she has come up with from the vegetables from her farm. Because I listened to the book, I adapted her recipe from what I could remember from listening and made it into a portion I could manage.


Devine Leek and Potato Soup

Feeds:2 but can be multiplied
Skill level: Beginner

2 tbs butter or olive oil
2 small leeks
2 large golden potato or 5-6 small golden potatoes, cubed
1 small yellow or sweet onion, roughly chopped
2 cloves of garlic, smashed
2-3 c chicken stock
1/2 c dry white wine
salt and pepper
Sour cream or heat cream (optional)


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut all the vegetables. Cut the dark green part off the leek and discard it. Take the remaining white stock and cut it in half. Make sure to thoroughly wash the leek inside and out because sand can easily get trapped inside the layers. Slice the leek, roughly chop the onion, cube the potatoes and dump it all into a cast iron pot with a lid.

3. To the vegetables add the remainder of the ingredients. I made sure that there was enough sock in the pot to completely cover the vegetables. You may keep some liquid for after the roasting to make the soup is the right texture after blending.
4. Over and cook in the oven for 45 min to an hour until all the vegetables are tender.
5. Blend all the ingredients together and taste. You may want to add a bit more fluid, salt or pepper once it is done.
6. This soup is amazing and naturally very cream on its own but if you feel it is lacking, feel free to dollop in a tablespoon of sour cream in each bowl or a drizzle of heavy cream.


In other news I am proud to announce that Evanelle has a new cousin!!! My sister recently adopted a cat who has yet to be named. 
See the resemblance? 

I am sure we will get an update soon on her name!

No comments:

Post a Comment